If you are looking to give something personal and customized, there’s nothing better and easier than creating a ‘Customized Aromatherapy Body Oil’.
I received an email from a woman that participated in an Aromatherapy Workshop I gave a while back, who became a good friend of mine. As part of the workshop, I gave each participant a personal blend of Essential Oils. Here is an excerpt of the email.
Do you remember the Aromatherapy workshop you gave …? You made a ‘Personal Essential Oil Blend’ for each participant …I use (mine) all the time, especially when I need to get centered …It seems to fit who I really am.
I want to give ‘Personal Essential Oil Blends’, like the ones you gave us in the workshop, as gifts this year. Do you have any tips on how to choose a ‘Personal Blend’ for loved ones?
I thought my answer to this would be useful to everyone, especially as the Holiday Season is right around the corner.
So here is a step by step guide to create a ‘Personalized Aromatherapy Body Oil’.
1. Spend some quiet time just thinking about the person you are making the ‘Personal Blend’ for and set the intention to make them the perfect scent that is special to them.
2. After you have done that think about what part of the plant they remind you of? Not just how they look, but deep inside.
- Are they beautiful like a flower? Then choose feminine flowery essential oils like ROSE, JASMINE, GERANIUM, YLANG YLANG or YLANG YLANG to enhance their beauty, calm them when they are stressed and raise their self esteem.
- Are they grounded like a root or a tree? Then choose essential oils from roots and trees like PALO SANTO, CEDARWOOD or GINGER to provide stability, help them to be grounded and help them achieve their goals for the New Year.
- Are they clean and fresh like everlasting conifers? Then choose PINE, FIR, SPRUCE or ROSEMARY essential oils to help them be healthy, focused and full of energy.
- Or are they more sweet and fresh like citrus fruit? Any citrus fruit will do the trick in providing a fresh, relaxing and invigorating scent. You can choose SWEET ORANGE, LEMON or GRAPEFRUIT.
3. Once you choose the part of the plant they remind you of, think about the positive physical and emotional benefits that those essential oils provide.
5. I have found that usually a blend will have between 3 – 5 essential oils. One will stand out as dominant and there will be 2 – 4 essential oils as complementing aspects. Follow steps 2 and 3 to choose the complementing essential oils.
6. Hold the essential oils you have chosen in your hands, or if you don’t have the essential oils yet, write each one you choose on a separate piece of paper and put them in front of you. Continue thinking about your Loved-One with the intention of giving them the perfect blend that is special to them. As you do this, you might put one of the essential oils back or think of another one. When you feel finished and complete you are done.
7. Put a total of 60 drops of essential oil in our 4 oz carrier oil bottle. Use your intuition and sense of smell to get that perfect ratio of your chosen essential oils. A useful hint: citrus oils always add sweetness to a blend that can otherwise feel too strong or unappealing.
8. Lastly, hold the finished ‘Customized Essential Oil Blend’ in your hand and write your Loved-One a note about how you choose this blend especially for them.
This is sure to be a memorable and special gift they will cherish.
Click here to see a list of the different single note Essential Oils you can use to make your special blends.
Please let us know your stories and experiences about blending. All our readers will thank you.
© 2011, Cristina Proano-Carrion, Aromandina LLC
This information is based on traditional use of aromatherapy and it does not intend to diagnose or treat any condition. This information should not be used as a substitute for medical counseling with a health care professional. No part of this article may be reproduced in whole or in part without the explicit written permission of Aromandina.