Essential Oils: Learn how and when to apply on the skin.
Did you know that “the majority of essential oils and their components pass through the skin and the organism and can be detected in exhaled air within 20-60 minutes?” Price (2007)
One of the most effective ways essential oils get into the body is through application on the skin:
Here are some ideas for you:
This is my favorite method of application for acute pain. I prefer to do alternate compresses, first a hot one, then a very cold one. As evaporation is reduced, absorption of essential oils may be increased.
With 2 empty bowls:
• Add a teaspoon of regular salt to each
• Add a total 6 drops of the essential oil of choice to each bowl
• Fill one with warm water
• Fill the other with iced cold water
Use one small towel for each bowl and alternate compresses onto the painful area.
In the Shower
This method has both a physical and emotional positive effect and allows you to use your oils on a daily basis to achieve the best results.
1) Put 3 to 5 drops of the essential oil on a washcloth.
2) While showering, place the washcloth on your chest and allow the heat of the shower to release the vapors of the essential oil.
In the Bath
This is one of the most important and effective forms of treatment in aromatherapy!
First, fill a bath with warm water, then add ¼ cup of Andean Bath Soak.
- To help you restore and replenish during the cold and flu season use RESPIRO Bath Soak, created with antiseptic, antibacterial essential oils.
- To help your muscles relax after a stressful day use ALIVIO Bath Soak, created with analgesic essential oils.
- To help uplift up your mind and heart use EXULTO Bath Soak created with happy, euphoric essential oils.
- To help you sleep better use SERENO Bath Soak, created with sedative, calming essential oils.
- As the perfect prelude to your date use ROMANCE Bath Soak, created with sensual, exotic essential oils.
To create your own bath salts, mix a total of 10 drops of essential oil with ½ cup of unscented salt and add it to the bath water.
Remember that skin penetration in the bath is increased by 100 times so the following essential oils should be avoided: basil, cinnamon, fennel, orange, peppermint and the essential oil blends: Memoria and Claro, as they may be irritating to the skin.
Massage with Essential Oils
For this method, essential oils should be diluted in a carrier oil, or vegetable oil base.
The carrier oil in our Aromandina products is a combination of fractionated coconut oil, golden jojoba and Tamanu oil and we have different Body Oils for different problems and conditions.
- For acute or chronic pain, apply Pain Begone Body Oil liberally onto the painful areas.
- For varicose veins apply Circulation Body Oil very gently, locally to varicose areas with light strokes in an upward direction.
- To help relax the muscles before bed apply Sleep Time Body Oil behind your neck, on the soles of your feet, and on your solar plexus.
- To break down unwanted fat in tissue and release retained water apply Detoxing Body Oil on the areas you need to lose weight. Apply twice a day for better results.
- To increase your energy levels during the day and support your adrenal glands apply Adrenal Support Body Oil every morning focusing on kidney area.
- To relive menstrual cramps and provide a feeling of well-being to any feminine imbalance apply Woman’s Help Body Oil on your womb and lower back area.
If you prefer to create your own body oils, add a total of 60 drops of your preferred essential oils to a 4 oz bottle of carrier oil, be creative!
© 2011, Cristina Proano-Carrion, Aromandina LLC
This information is based on traditional use of aromatherapy and it does not intend to diagnose or treat any condition. This information should not be used as a substitute for medical counseling with a health care professional. No part of this article may be reproduced in whole or in part without the explicit written permission of Aromandina.