One of the most common questions I get is how to use aromatherapy to relieve sore muscles and joints. Luckily, aromatherapy can be a powerful, all-natural painkiller — but only if it’s used the right way. Since pain and inflammation can be caused by so many things and affect so many different areas, your specific aromatherapy blend will depend on where it hurts!
Some essential oils — like Peppermint, Chamomile, Marjoram, just to name a few — are great at localized pain relief. All you have to do is rub them over the affected area, (always diluted in a carrier oil), and they’ll give you instant relief. They can be a great remedy for things like arthritis, gout, tendinitis, and muscle soreness.
In fact, many of these essential oils contain some of the same ingredients as the common over the counter pain relievers. The only difference is that essential oils aren’t mixed with a bunch of chemicals! Because they’re all-natural, you won’t have any of the nasty side effects that can come with traditional painkillers.
Other essential oils – Lavender, Birch, Ginger being just a few examples — are great at making their way through your skin and working deep inside your body to get rid of the inflammation and toxins that are leaving you in severe pain.
So, how can you reap the benefits of these painkilling essential oils at home?
Make your own hot and cold compresses following this recipe:
- Start with two empty bowls
- Put one teaspoon of salt in each bowl
- Fill one bowl with hot water; the other with iced water
- Soak a small towel in each bowl, and squeeze out the excess water
- Apply the hot compress for 1 minute
- Apply the cold compress for 1 minute
- Keep alternating compresses for 15 minutes
Want another way to take advantage of pain relief aromatherapy at home?
Massage the area where it hurts. That way, you can boost your circulation and chase out toxins. All you need to do is pick the right oil for your specific needs, and massage it into your skin every day. Luckily, we’ve got two popular (and powerful) blends that can give you the relief you need:
- If you’re dealing with localized pain and inflammation, Pain Begone Body Oil is a great blend. With a mixture of Birch, Peppermint, Ravensara, and Lavender, you’ll get a natural analgesic and anti-inflammatory.
- If you’ve got circulation problems — especially if you’re stuck standing all day at work — try Circulation Body Oil. A combination of Cypress, Geranium, Ginger, and Niaouli will stimulate your blood flow and prevent uric acid from building up in your joints.
And remember — muscle pain isn’t always caused by physical labor! Sometimes, you can wind up in severe pain when you’re in the middle of a stressful situation or when you’re feeling anxious.
I’ve found that the best way to calm down after a rough day (and to soothe aching muscles that are sore from all of that pent-up anxiety) is to soak in a hot bath with 1/4 cup of our Alivio Bath Soak. This aromatic blend is specially-designed to relax your muscles and take pressure off your joints so that you can say goodbye to your pain in a matter of minutes. It also helps detoxify your system so that you can feel better both inside and out.
That’s why aromatherapy is so powerful — it addresses the physical and emotional causes of pain. That way, you can benefit from holistic healing, no matter what’s causing your pain!
If you’re sick of traditional painkillers and want a natural pain reliever that really works, try our Pain Relief Package!